Jamie and I agree that we are definitely in foodie heaven. We went yesterday to our first Portland farmer's market (the Wednesday downtown one, because there are probably almost a dozen-- yes, a dozen! --around the city in the course of a week). Because we missed our first farm share pickup while we were en route, we arrived at the farmer's market with a $20 farm credit coupon for the Groundwork Organics booth. That coupon (plus $2.50 cash) got us: 2 pints of strawberries, 2 lbs of patty pans squash, 1 bunch of carrots, 1 pint of sungold tomatoes, and 2 lbs of sugar snap peas (I eat them like chips). At other stands we bought: 2 walnut ciabatta rolls (from Pearl Bakery, which sold me on Portland back in January), 1 lb of salmon, a container of pickled slaw, and half a dozen spears of pickled asparagus. Also available, in addition to veggies: flowers, honey, baked goods (oh, the baked goods!), coffee, and mushrooms (delicious!!). And all of it was local!! Thank goodness for all the walking that Portlanders do. Otherwise I would be concerned about eating and drinking too much. (Don't get me started on the wine and local brew scene.)
Speaking of walking, tonight is Knit Nite at The Naked Sheep, the awesome yarn shop in North Portland. Right now I am thinking of walking there (a little over 2 miles). I guess it depends on how much I eat for lunch. Last night I pulled my yarn out and knit for the first time in weeks-- it felt good, but still strange. I'm hoping Knit Nite will put the oomph back in my knitting.
Poor Jamie is not feeling well at all these days and is eating a severely limited (and very bland) diet. I am hoping that, as the stress of moving abates, his system will stabilize and he will be able to start enjoying all the yummy food, too.
Sorry to hear Jamie isn't feeling well. Hopefully it won't be a long lasting setback.
ReplyDeleteLove from all of us
p.s. If you get a chance to check your facebook email or my blog please do :)