Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Late Winter Weather



I was e-mailing with a friend in Knoxville this morning, who said that the weather there these days alternates from 70 degrees to 30 and raining.  Here in the Berkshires the weather is alternating from snowing to not snowing.  

While I was in Portland in January, the weather was very changeable, too.  To the left is a picture of the Pearl District (downtown) on Sunday, my first full day there.  The snow was in the process of melting, although it was still sticking doggedly in the hills.  Within two hours, all the snow had gone, leaving these elephants (top) without their snow jackets.

The next day (Monday) was my full-day interview.  During a few minutes of quiet time, my future colleague took me on a walk around the campus and the surrounding neighborhood (lots of cute bungalows on little squares of property).  As you can see from this picture, the snow was long gone:


As someone who has grown up and lived (almost) all her life in snowy climes, I was reluctant to move to a relatively snow-less (or less snow) area.  I think I will miss the snow (and Mieko burying his nose in it, below), but I won't miss the painful kind of cold we've been having this year.  All my Canadian relatives may pooh-pooh my lack of stamina, but right now 30 degrees and raining sounds okay to me.  


1 comment:

  1. Ah, I would probably miss the snow to some extent (our snow was starting to melt and then we got more, with more to come today 10-15 cm in total). But not the extreme cold and wind and bundling up children that goes along with it. So, I won't "pooh-pooh" you!

    Love from a Canadian relative :)

    ReplyDelete